The lowdown on business case software
What is it?
Business case software helps agencies through the process of creating a convincing business case, employing templates and, in some programs, scorecards based on known criteria that help judge how the business case will be received.When would I need it?
If agency personnel are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of building a business case, the templates and scorecards could be useful. Also, some programs are designed to use business cases in a broader approach to managing technology, an approach that OMB encourages.Must-know info?
Before buying a business case tool, you should ask the following questions:
- How well does this tool match the agency's commitment to portfolio and project management?
- Can it easily interact with other applications to acquire necessary data?
- Is the tool oriented toward OMB requirements such as Exhibit 300?
- Can it be customized to fit the agency's style?
- Does it have a reasonable upgrade path to match increasing agency sophistication?