GCN announces Agency Award winners
Government Computer News has selected 10 agencies whose IT initiatives are being recognized as the best of 2008
Government Computer News has released the names of 10 government agencies whose information technology initiatives are being recognized as the best of 2008. GCN also announced the names of five executives who will be honored this year.
The GCN Awards embody one of the most sought after and respected accolades in government IT, and GCN's fall awards gala attracts a perennial 'Who's Who' across government and industry. Now in their 21st year, the GCN Awards recognize federal, state and local government for extraordinary IT accomplishments and significant contributions to the performance of their agencies.
"Government IT remains a huge and vital market. The annual GCN Awards honor innovation and exemplary efforts to use IT to better serve the public and improve agency performance,' said GCN Editor in Chief Wyatt Kash. 'This year's agency winners become part of a tradition of excellence and service. We applaud them and their continued dedication to serving the public sector.'
The 2008 GCN agency award winners are:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service for their PCIT automated certificate process and export data collection system
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for their Information Collection Request, Review and Approval (ICRAS) system
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence - Intelligence Community Enterprise Solutions
- Alabama Department of Homeland Security for their Virtual Alabama geospatial information management system
- U.S. Navy for their Navy Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) program.
- U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development - Office of Public and Indian Housing for their National Housing Locator System
- U.S. Air Force Materiel Command - Automatic Identification Technology Office Robins AFB for their Air Force Global Enterprise Tracking (AFGET) system
- U.S. Department of Labor - Office of the Assistant Secretary for Administration and Management for their GovBenefits E-Gov Program: SSA BEST Customized Connection pre-screening benefits service
- U.S. Environment Protection Agency - GeoData Gateway and the EPA Metadata Editor
- General Services Administration - Office of Acquisition Systems for their Integrated Acquisition Environment (IAE) E-Gov Program
GCN's 2008 Executive of the Year award recipients include:
- Civilian: Molly O'Neill, Chief Information Officer, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Defense: Ken Heitkamp, Assistant Chief Information Officer for Life-Cycle Management, U.S. Air Force (AF-CIO/L)
- Industry: Curt Kolcun, Vice President, U.S. Public Sector, Microsoft Corporation
- Hall of Fame: Karen Evans, Administrator of the Office of Electronic Government and Information Technology (IT), Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- Hall of Fame: Lieutenant General Charles E. "Charlie" Croom, Jr., former Director, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), and Commander, Joint Task Force - Global Network Operations, Arlington, Va. (retired)
Award winners will be profiled in the October 20 issue of the magazine and on GCN.com. They will also be honored at GCN's 21st Annual Awards Gala, Wednesday, October 22 at the Hilton Washington in Washington, D.C. For more information click here