Science on a Sphere gains international appeal
The first permanent European installation of the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Science on a Sphere opened in June at the Paris Science and Industry Museum. Globaloscope grew from a collaboration between NOAA and France's space agency, which also showcased a traveling version of the sphere at the Paris Air Show in June.
NOAA's Science on a Sphere adds a new dimension to data displays
But you don’t have to travel to Paris to see Science on a Sphere. Here are the other installations worldwide.
- Bishop Museum, Honolulu
- Boonshoft Museum of Discovery, Dayton, Ohio
- Clark Planetarium, Salt Lake City
- Climate Factory, Holeby, Denmark
- Climate Institute, Puebla, Mexico
- Fiske Planetarium and Science Center, Boulder, Colo.
- Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center, Alpena, Mich.
- Gwacheon National Science Museum, Gwacheon, South Korea
- Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawaii, Hilo
- International Museum of Art and Science, McAllen, Texas
- James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, Calif.
- Maryland Science Center, Baltimore
- McWane Science Center, Birmingham, Ala.
- Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
- NASA StenniSphere, Stennis Space Center, Miss.
- NASA Visitor Center, Wallops Island, Va.
- National Museum of Natural Science, Taichung, Taiwan
- National Museum of Surveying, Springfield, Ill.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colo.
- Nauticus, Norfolk, Va.
- NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory, Boulder, Colo.
- NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory, Norman, Okla.
- North Carolina Aquarium, Manteo, N.C.
- Ocean Explorium at New Bedford Seaport, New Bedford, Mass.
- Orlando Science Center, Orlando, Fla.
- Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minn.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C.
- Smithsonian National Zoological Park, Washington, D.C.
- Tech Museum of Innovation, San Jose, Calif.
- Ted Stevens Marine Research Institute, Juneau, Alaska
- Whitaker Center for Science and Arts, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Wildlife Experience, Parker, Colo.
William Jackson is a senior writer of GCN and the author of the CyberEye blog.