Agencies receive kudos for their IT excellence
- By Jason Miller
- Apr 02, 2004
Skipper to skipper: Capt. Skip Hiser receives the award for the Navy Enterprise Portal from FOSE general manager Bill Howell, who following the trade show stepped down after a decade at FOSE's helm to set sail on a two-year trip around the world with his family.
Two Quicksilver e-government initiatives were among six federal and two state and local IT projects that received Showcase of Excellence awards at FOSE 2004 in Washington.
A team of CIOs, chief financial officers, procurement executives and human resources chiefs selected the winners.E-government:
- Quicksilver's Grants.gov, run by the Health and Human Services Department, consolidates more than 900 grants programs and lets citizens apply for grants online.
- The Education Department's Student Aid on the Web portal consolidates information about college selection, admissions and student aid.
- The Navy Enterprise Portal lets IT managers integrate systems resources.
- The Defense Department's Standard Procurement System automates procurement processes for all DOD organizations.
State and local:
- The Homeland Security Department's Disaster Management portal, another Quicksilver project, provides one-stop access for information and services as well as a collaboration area for first responders.
- The Justice Department's Regional Information Sharing System lets 6,800 federal, state and local law enforcement agencies nationwide share information.
- The Richmond, Va., Citizens' Request System lets Richmond residents order services online.
- The District of Columbia's Tax and Revenue Integrated Tax System modernizes and automates D.C. tax processing.