GSA hangs on to the transition keys

GSA hangs on to the transition keys

By Susan M. Menke

GCN Staff

NOV. 27—The General Services Administration is keeping its presidential transition funds and facilities off-limits for the time being in the contested presidential election.

"As long as both sides continue with their stated plans to seek legal remedies with respect to this election, the outcome remains unclear," chief GSA spokeswoman Beth W. Newburger said in a statement. "Therefore, we cannot authorize nonfederal employees, such as the presidential transition team would be, to spend federal funds on transition activities."

GSA has been holding in readiness a $4.3 million appropriation and 90,000 square feet of office space for up to 540 people at the former Year 2000 Coordination Center in Washington. [ www.gcn.com/vol19_no33/news/3328-1.html]. As part of the agency's work, it is prepared to provide systems and connectivity services for the president-elect's transition staff.

A statement last month said that GSA Administrator David J. Barram would sign over the funds 'when the election results are clear and the apparent losing candidate concedes.'

The bulk of the agency's transition responsibilities typically end with the January inauguration.

inside gcn

  • cyber hygiene (Lucky Business/Shutterstock.com)

    Cleaning up cyber hygiene

Reader Comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group