Navy Web site shut down after attack

Navy Web site shut down after attack

The home page of a Navy Web site was hijacked on April 5, possibly by supporters or agents of the People's Republic of China, which blames the United States for the recent collision of a surveillance plane with a Chinese F-8 fighter.


The site, at www.peoarbs.navy.mil, was shut down, Navy spokeswoman Lt. Jane Alexander confirmed. But she could not confirm that China was responsible or that critical messages blamed the crew of the Navy's EP-3E Aries II surveillance plane for the fighter's crash.

'We don't want to jump to any conclusions,' Alexander said. 'They are still in the middle of the security review of what happened and how it happened.'

Two sources who asked not to be identified said they saw the home page of the Navy's Program Executive Office for Acquisition Related Business Systems decorated with an animated Chinese flag on a red background. The hackers had placed anti-American sentiments in English plus Chinese characters on the home page, they said.

Alexander said the webmaster shut down the site once he realized an unauthorized user had gained access. It was back up last week.

The sources speculated that the relatively obscure site was hacked because it was more vulnerable than more prominent military sites, such as that of the Pacific Command, at www.pacom.mil, which includes reports about the China incident and other high-profile military news.

'D.S. Onley

inside gcn

  • artificial intelligence (ktsdesign/Shutterstock.com)

    Machine learning with limited data

Reader Comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group