Internaut: Feds are citizens and e-gov users, too
- By Shawn McCarthy
- Aug 09, 2002
Shawn P. McCarthy
The federal government is pouring a substantial amount of energy and dollars into e-government service to citizens. But it's not all for private citizens.
Jobs, training and retirement benefits are just as important to federal workers as to other citizens. Here's some online help for feds:
- Your first stop should be the Office of Personnel Management's new Government Online Learning Center, at www.golearn.gov. The site built by GeoLearning Inc. of West Des Moines, Iowa, launched last month, and in spite of awkward navigation, it shows great potential.
- Another OPM site about training is the Human Resource Development site, at www.opm.gov/hrd/index.htm. Drill down far enough and you'll find contact information for people who coordinate learning technology projects at various agencies.
- Recently, civil service groups and union officials have complained that the rights of federal workers, including IT professionals, could be affected by broad policies of the proposed Homeland Security Department.
It's always good to be prepared in case job duties change, so read up on the national strategy for Homeland Security and judge for yourself. Take a look at www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/book/index.html. For some employees, the proposed changes will open up new opportunities. Check out the conclusions: Funding will be available to train government personnel in some circumstances.
- Defense Department employees should review the education pages on Today's Military site, at www.todaysmilitary.com/oppor_education.shtml. Don't miss information from the Office of the Chancellor for Education and Professional Development, at www.chancellor.osd.mil, which has links to memos about payment for educational initiatives.
- If you want to change jobs, try the main federal job board, at www.usajobs.opm.gov. Search by job title, region, job level or other criteria.
- If you want databases for state and private-sector jobs, visit www.ajb.dni.us.
Shawn P. McCarthy designs products for a Web search engine provider. E-mail him at [email protected].
- Some government employees may be eligible for federal aid--look at govbenefits. gov or the catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance, at www.cfda.gov.
Shawn McCarthy, a former writer for GCN, is senior analyst and program manager for government IT opportunities at IDC.