VA to seek telecom operations support
- By Mary Mosquera
- Aug 13, 2004
The Veterans Affairs Department will publish a request for proposals at the end of the month to make its existing telecommunications services function within a national integrated platform.
The modernization, designed to form a OneVA data and communications system, will provide a state-of-the-art telecommunications infrastructure to improve performance and provide consistent levels of service across all VA business lines.
The current management approach no longer meets its needs, and more accountability for telecommunications costs is required under various regulations, VA said in its pre-solicitation notice today on FedBizOpps.
The VA must manage existing assets more effectively before further investments are made.
Therefore, VA plans to acquire an enterprisewide Telecommunications Operations Support System to ensure the infrastructure can provide for established business needs including:
- the ability to manage telecommunications assets
- better service order management
- improved telecommunications expense management
- recommendations for improving services and assets
- circuit provisioning and engineering
- reporting capabilities and user training.
Mary Mosquera is a reporter for Federal Computer Week.