Fire at Old Executive Office Building

Police, fire units on scene at the Old Executive Office Building.

AP

A fire broke out this morning at the Old Executive Office Building near the vice president's ceremonial office.

The building was evacuated after the fire alarm sounded, according to an Office of Management and Budget official in the building during the alarm.

'The smoke was billowing in the hallway,' the official said.

The ceremonial office is on the second floor of the building, near the office of Karen Evans, OMB's administrator for e-government and information technology.

The official said no one had heard heard of any injuries or the how the fire started.

The Associated Press is reporting that a spokesman for the Washington, D.C., Fire Department said the fire started in an electrical closet or telephone bank area on the third floor.

'OMB staff from the Eisenhower building have primarily moved to temporary offices in the adjacent New Executive building,' said an OMB spokeswoman. 'We are conducting business as usual on a very unusual day. We echo the President in thanking the firefighters for their quick work in addressing the fire.'

inside gcn

  • federal blockchain

    How blockchain can transform the public sector

Reader Comments

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group