Microsoft introduces on-demand software platform
- By Patrick Marshall
- Apr 02, 2009
Microsoft is venturing further into the cloud and into providing software as a service -- with its introduction of a new line of on-demand solutions for government and schools.
The new product -- Public Sector On-Demand Solutions -- runs on Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Actually, Public Sector On-Demand Solutions is more of an application development platform than an application. Solutions, whether developed by Microsoft or one of its development partners, are offered on a subscription basis.
Six applications are currently available on the Public Sector On-Demand Solutions Web site:
- Public Records Tracker helps agencies organize and automate the processing of Public Records Act and Freedom of Information Act requests.
- FastTrackGov is a suite of community development applications that support licensing, permitting, code enforcement and inspection management.
- Agenda Builder helps subscribers manage electronic review and approval of agenda items for meetings.
- Constituent Issue Manager helps organizations track and respond to requests from the public and includes address validation tools
- Inspection Manager provides tools for field inspectors to manage their work and to process citations.
- Backpack Student Information System helps schools manage attendance, grades, course, scheduling, state reporting and assessments. The software also provides a portal for students and parents.
Subscriptions vary according the application. The subscription for the Public Records Tracker, for example, is $125 per month per user.
Patrick Marshall is a freelance technology writer for GCN.