NARA reminds agencies of automated email deadlines
The National Archives and Records Administration reiterated its guidance to federal agencies on email management. Converting to automated email management will reduce the risks involved in human management of email.
In light of the Dec. 31, 2016, deadline for all email to be managed electronically, NARA said it will continue to issue guidance that assists agencies meet the goals of the directive and federal records management requirements under the Federal Records Act.
The question-and-answer formatted memorandum from the Office of Management and Budget covers:
- The kinds of emails that are official federal records
- Agency responsibilities for email management
- The role of federal employees in email management
- A description of the Capstone approach to managing email
- Guidance on email retention
- Strategies for mitigation against loss of emails
- Instructions on reporting email loss
- Sources for more information
OMB also reminded agencies of other goals from the Managing Government Records Directive that are due at the end of this year, which include ensuring that that agencies and their employees understand their accountability and that all agencies must establish and develop suitable records management training.
Posted by GCN Staff on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM