These 12 projects at the federal, state and local levels show just how transformative government IT can be.
Government rarely gets credit for the tremendous range of innovation it drives. But as the winners of our 2021 Government Innovation Awards make clear, amazing things are happening at all levels of the public sector.
The dozen Public Sector Innovations below include everything from pandemic response and telework enablers to artificial intelligence-powered analytics and next-gen cybersecurity. In some cases, the technology itself is transformative, while in others creative use of readily available tools is the game-changer. All, however, show how IT and innovation can dramatically improve government.
And while these examples are impressive enough on their own, they're just one part of our larger Government Innovation Awards program. A joint effort of GCN, FCW, Washington Technology and Defense Systems, these awards also recognize the Industry Innovators supporting the government's transformation and the individual Rising Stars who are driving change across the public sector. Those winners were announced today as well.
Congratulations to each of this year's winning projects:
- Cyber Risk Score Portal
City of Los Angeles
- Cybersecurity Job Creation System
Old Dominion University
- Cybersecurity War Room in the 2020 Election Cycle
Maricopa County Office of Enterprise Technology
- Defense SBIR/STTR Innovation Portal (DSIP)
Department of Defense
- Incorporating Automation into the Authorization Lifecycle: Open Security Controls Assessment Language (OSCAL) and Automated Validation Rules
General Services Administration
- Innovating IRS IT services through RPA and AI-based operations
Internal Revenue Service
- Isolated Secure Laboratory Environment (ISLE)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Machine Learning-as-a-Service Platform
Food and Drug Administration
- National Emergency TeleCritical Care Network
Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Defense
- Re-Engineering of the U.S. Construction Indicator Using Satellite Image Analyses
- Southeast Georgia Regional Alliance for Spatial Solutions (SEGRASS) Next Generation 911 Addressing Collaboration
Coastal Regional Commission
- Veterans Affairs Platform One (VAPO)
Department of Veterans Affairs