Sept. 11, 2001: personal history

Sept. 11. Even typing those words sends a chill through my spine. If I don’t look away from my monitor and try to think of something else, I’m in danger of breaking down all over again. Time has not yet lessened the pain that the attacks of that day inflicted on us.

If I can be completely truthful with all of you, the fact is that I do my best not to think of such things. But this year being the 10th anniversary of the attacks, even those of us who try to avoid dwelling on the horrors of the past will be forced to remember.

Flipping the channels this week, I counted no fewer than 10 programs dedicated to Sept. 11, and that’s not including the remembrance ceremonies planned for opening day of the NFL season. Some of them, like a special on The History Channel that will play 911 calls made by doomed people inside the World Trade Center, are not something I could even consider viewing. I’m just not strong enough to do it.

Psychologists will say that facing your fears is a good thing, that by confronting your demons you can exorcise them. Everyone has a story from that day, during that great panic when we really didn’t know what was going on and it seemed like the whole world was collapsing.

And so, if it will help, I’d like to ask each of you where you were that day and what your experiences were. Whether you were in New York or Tucson, I’m sure the attacks reached you somehow. Perhaps if we can share our stories this many years later, they will have a little bit less power over us.

Since I don’t want to ask readers to do anything that I myself wouldn’t do, I’ll start. My story is probably typical of most of us and doesn’t involve any narrow escapes or split-second decisions that would have saved or ended my life. Eventually I would learn that my best friend’s father was one of the last people out of the Pentagon after the plane hit. And another friend lost his brother, a firefighter in New York, when the first tower of the World Trade Center collapsed. But for me personally, I was simply late for work because of a terrible traffic jam on the Washington Beltway that morning.

I actually had an appointment in downtown D.C. at the Agriculture Department, but the traffic on I-270 in Maryland was so bad that it was becoming clear that I was not going to make it. Government Computer News had its headquarters in Silver Spring at the time, and my plan to drive into the office and hop on a Metro train was not going to work.

But I was not too worried. Instead of fretting about it, I was just listening to, of all things, a new Enya CD in my car. I actually let the CD play through three full times while I crept along, trapped in the worst jam-up I’d seen at that time in the morning.

I did notice a few of the other drivers looking very frightened, but assumed they were simply not taking their tardiness as well as I was. The attacks were just then being reported on the radio, but I was listening to Enya’s beautiful fusion of Celtic and New Age, so I just cruised along in blissful ignorance. Ironically, one of her most haunting songs, “Only Time” would eventually become an anthem of sorts for the Sept. 11 attacks, used in many montages of photos from that day. Enya would also release a remix of that song with all proceeds going to help the victims. Here is one of those tributes people put together featuring her song on YouTube. But I swear to God, you won’t be able to watch it without crying.

What I didn’t realize is that people at GCN didn’t know I was late, and assumed I was already downtown. My co-workers were frantically calling me, but my cell phone never got the calls because the network had already been jammed up. (Remember that this crisis led to a push to reform and improve cellular service, but the recent earthquake that hit D.C. showed us that we still have a ways to go in that respect.)

Eventually I got tired of listening to Enya and switched to the radio. I expected to hear my favorite morning team at the time, Kurt, Mark and Lopez, but instead I heard Dan Rather saying how it was a dark day for the nation that we would never forget.

Realizing that something was very wrong, all the clues I had seen on the road that morning began to suddenly make sense. It was like someone dumped a bucket of ice water over my head. The radio DJs were simply holding their microphones up to the TV and re-broadcasting that feed. This was interspersed with all kinds of reports about planes crashing into buildings, into the Pentagon, into banks and schools. There was so much misinformation that at one point I yelled up into the sky “Where in the hell are the terrorists getting all these planes!”

I was stunned now, too, like the drivers I had seen previously. In fact, when I finally crept around to my exit, I was on the far side of the highway. Something really interesting happened, though. I put on my blinker and all four lanes of the Beltway just melted away like the parting of the Red Sea. I could have crossed 80 lanes of traffic, I think. That spirit of togetherness that was so beautiful and prevalent after the attacks had already begun. I experienced it on the highway that morning. People went out of their way just to get out of my way. I sailed down the exit, taking one look back at my new friends, lost again in their highway hypnosis. I wished them all well on their journeys.

When I walked into GCN, my fellow lab partner at the time ran over and hugged me. Then he ran to tell the editor that I was OK and she came running into the lab and also hugged me.

At the office, nothing was working right. Even the land lines had trouble getting calls through, and most Internet sites like Washingtonpost.com and CNN.com were so jammed with traffic that I could not get in. Eventually we got through to a news website in Australia to find out what was going on locally, a quirky trick of the global nature of the Internet.

A few other things happened that day. Our editor-in-chief at the time was Tom Temin. He was trapped on a plane, trying to get to Los Angeles for a tradeshow, but he got grounded in Tennessee when the airspace closed. I didn’t get to talk with him that day, but remember the sigh of relief that went through the office when we learned that he was safe, if stranded.

Later in the day the GCN Lab provided shelter for some IT workers from Congress who had been evacuated. They told us how they grabbed backup tapes and made a run for it. We sat and had lunch with them as more news dribbled in. The huge backup tapes for Congress’ computer network provided perfect coasters for our soda cans. It was all very surreal.

Like most people, I did almost nothing that week other than watch TV, read the paper and try to imagine what would come next. News of the deaths of friends of friends added to the feeling of hopelessness.

But eventually things got better. People came together like nothing I had experienced before, like I imagine people probably did after Pearl Harbor was attacked back in 1941. Eventually things went back to normal, if you call perpetual warfare normal. We even killed that bastard bin Laden, though his death brought me surprisingly little comfort. Still, it’s nice to know that some semblance of justice was done eventually.

I don’t know what I’m going to be doing this year on Sept. 11, though I probably won’t be watching any of those remembrance specials or listening to Enya, which I now unfortunately associate with that day. Perhaps I’ll get brave enough to watch one. I don’t know.

What I will do is read your comments. Let us know where you were on Sept. 11, 2001, and what you experienced. I think it will be helpful to know that we all went through this together, and that we found the light at the end of that very dark tunnel. I hope my story in some way brings you comfort, too. We all push onward, never knowing what tomorrow may bring, but knowing that we can get there together.


inside gcn

  • blockchain (Immersion Imagery/Shutterstock.com)

    DARPA eyes 'less-explored avenues' of blockchain

Reader Comments

Fri, Sep 9, 2011

I was deployed to Bosnia at the time. One of my engineer officers told me that a airliner had hit the WTC. We went to PAO to see the live picture on their TV. We thought we were watching a rerun of the first plane when the second one hit.

Thu, Sep 8, 2011

I was attending a workshop at the Hyatt near Dulles that day. I had come out of a session to sit in the lobby and drink a cup of coffee when I saw hotel employees setting up TVs. When they turned them on I was shocked to see the World Trade Center had been hit. Then the second tower was hit and I heard the announcement about the Pentagon. I moved closer to get a better view and that is where I stayed the next couple of hours. When the towers collapsed I recall not thinking it was real. It didn't seem possible. My husband and I had been planning a weekend trip to NYC and wanted to have dinner at Windows on the World. I heard that many DC streets were closed which made me wonder how I was going to get back to Laurel. I ended up driving out to Leesburg, making my way up to 70 and then coming back to Baltimore and then south to Laurel. A coworker, who I did not know, was standing guard at the Pentagon. He was supposed to stand guard later that month but switched with someone because his wife was expecting in a couple of weeks. He paid the ultimate price that day. I will never forget it.

Thu, Sep 8, 2011 Connie Thoma DC

I was at work in a west Texas Health Department. One of my coworkers came in to say that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. My very first thought was, "That was not an accident." Every pilot that I've ever known would have avoided a collision with a building, somehow. So many of them are former military with years of experience and training on how to deal with emergencies. The second strike quickly ended any pretence of normalcy. It was the waiting and not being able to help that kept me in some kind of out-of-body experience. I wanted to be part of the response, the recovery. It finally hit me full force when a former supervisor told me in late October that now he understood why I had mentioned concerns about school access control and security during an inspection the previous April. That is one of the saddest statements that I've ever heard. They had thought that I was somewhat crazy, but after 9/11 they realized that I was just aware of how crazy the world really can be - and they had been made to see it too. Life, liberty, faith, friendship, love - these survive and we are stronger for what we have been through together.

Thu, Sep 8, 2011 Larry Frank

I nwas in a DoD office building in Rosslyn a few miles from the Pentagon. For me, there was the initial disaster of the first plane and wondering how that could have happened - followed shortly by the recognition that this was clearly not an accident when the second plane hit the other tower. That was followed shortly by the news that a third plane had hit the Pentagon. We were unable to contact anybody - phone systems were working but seriously jammed - could not get dial tone so we stayed glued to the single TV that was in the office space for news. I was finally able to get word to my wife and kids that I was not at the Pentagon (was there a lot but not that day) and OK.

Wed, Sep 7, 2011 Sally Lipozitz DC

Thanks for sharing your story. My husband was posted at the Pentagon at the time and was in the building when the airplane hit. He said the building is so large that he didn't even really feel it since we was so far away. When they evacuated he had just enough time to call me. All he could say was two sentences. "Yes we have been hit. I am okay and leaving the building." Click. That was it. It was all there was time for, but it meant the world to me. I was still worried all day till he came home, but much less so after the call. May nothing like that ever happen again.

Please post your comments here. Comments are moderated, so they may not appear immediately after submitting. We will not post comments that we consider abusive or off-topic.

Please type the letters/numbers you see above

More from 1105 Public Sector Media Group